Photo GalleryClick on a photo to enlarge and for more information.
'Images of Clay'
Images by David Green
Open Access Policy
1. The Mineralogical Society has responded to the new RCUK policies on Access to Research Outputs and has implemented new policies for articles received on or after 1 April 2013. These policies will apply to all authors, and the Society will retain its commitment to publishing only high-quality peer-reviewed research outputs.
2. Mineralogical Society journals will take a hybrid approach to publication, enabling a combination of Gold (author pays) Open Access, Green (repository) Open Access and access-controlled articles.
Gold Open Access
3. For an article to be published on a Gold Open Access basis, the payment of an Article Processing Charge (APC) is required on acceptance of the article for publication. Payment must be received prior to online publication. The APC charged for Gold OA will be £1500 (plus tax, where applicable) for articles.
4. APC charges will be reviewed periodically, and may be waived, e.g. in the case of invited journal articles. A discount of £250 will be available for Fellows and Members of the Society.
5. Gold OA articles will be published under the terms of the CC-BY 3.0 license.
6. All articles may be published under the terms of Green Open Access.
7. Authors may post a pre-publication copy of the accepted (but not copy-edited and not typeset) version of their article, following its acceptance by the journal in their institutional repository, a subject-based repository or personal website.This version must include the publisher DOI.
After the relevant embargo period (12 months) has elapsed, the author may post a copy of the e-print of their paper (a formal, publisher-provided copy of the final version of their copy-edited and typeset paper) in their institutional repository, a subject-based repository or personal website.This must also be accompanied by a DOI link.
The embargo period will be 12 months from the time of formal online publication (not acceptance) in a Society online journal service.
8. Subscriptions will be charged for Mineralogical Society titles for as long as they continue to feature articles for which no APC has been paid. Account will be taken of the amount of APC payments when setting the subscription prices for the journals.
Compliance with funder and license requirements
9. In all cases it is the author's responsibility to ensure that their chosen route to publication is compliant with any requirements or obligation placed upon them by their funder or employer. The Mineralogical Society takes no responsibility for advising authors on compliance.
10. Authors wishing to have their article published via Gold Open Access have responsibility for ensuring that all components of their work (for example, data, figures or tables included in the final version) are compatible with the requirements of the CC-BY 3.0 license. The Mineralogical Society cannot advise on such issues, nor undertake negotiations with rights holders on an author's behalf.