Photo GalleryClick on a photo to enlarge and for more information.
'Images of Clay'
Images by David Green
This group became a joint group of the Mineralogical and Geological Societies at the beginning of 1997. It was previously known as the Volcanic Studies Group. It promotes the study of physical volcanology, igneous geochemistry and petrology, volcano geophysics and related subjects by stimulating a wider interest in volcanology and magmatic processes, and it facilitates the exchange of information between members of the Group and with others working in similar fields of interest. Regular meetings, workshops and field trips are organised. Further details about the group are available from the secretary, Dr Richard Brown.
Volcanic and Magmatic Studies Group Annual Meeting: 6-8 January 2016 , Trinity College Dublin
- Rift and Element Cycling in the Mantle
- Making the crust (Keynote: J. Blundy)
- Magmatic Histories (Keynote: Vicki Smith)
- Volcanism as a Hazard and an environmental and climatic agent (Keynote: David Pyle)
- Effect of Volatiles on Eruptions: the view from Deposits [Keynote: Guido Giordano]
- Ice-breaker @ Trinity College
- Conference Dinner @ Jameson Distillery
Pre-meeting workshop: LA-ICP-MS crystal mapping (5/1/15)
Field-trip: Giant's Causeway (9/1/16)
See the VMSG website and read the newsletters for information about forthcoming group events.