Personal data collected by the Society generally include an individual’s name, address and email address. It may also include date of birth, an image, and, on occasion, credit card numbers (though these are destroyed as soon as payments have been processed).
HOW PERSONAL DATA ARE COLLECTED
The Society collects personal data under various circumstances. Most common are when an individual:
• Becomes a member of the Society;
• Registers for a conference or similar in-person event;
• Participates as a speaker, author, or similar capacity;
• Purchases a product; or
• Subscribes to a publication.
HOW PERSONAL DATA ARE PROCESSED
Personal data of individuals may be used for several purposes. Among them are:
• Membership administration;
• Provision of member benefits;
• Delivery of products and services;
• Management of subscriptions;
• Communication of Society events, products, services, offerings, benefits and opportunities;
• Direct marketing;
• Member and customer data analysis;
• Development of directories; and
• Product and services customization and development.
LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
There are several legal bases for the Society’s collection and processing of personal data:
• For the legitimate interests of the Society, including the several uses listed above;
• To perform a contract;
• Based on consent; and
• Legal compliance.
THIRD PARTIES WITH WHICH PERSONAL DATA MAY BE SHARED
The Society may share personal data with several other parties. These include:
• Publishers of Society publications;
• Service providers who perform functions such as marketing, research, shipping and fulfilment; and
The Society also may share personal data in the event of a merger or asset sale/purchase transaction, and as required by law.
SITE OF PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
Personal data of individuals collected by the Society may be stored and processed in Europe, the United States or any other country in which the Society, its vendors, or partners maintain facilities. The Society generally collects and processes personal data in the UK. In the event personal data are collected in the UK and are then transferred to any other country outside of the UK, the Society will do so because there is a legal reason, such as in order to perform a contract, or to achieve a legitimate interest of the Society.
PERSONAL DATA AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED
The Society may collect certain personal data automatically, in particular of individuals visiting the Society website, using cookies and other technologies.
Personal data may be retained by the Society for so long as necessary or useful to pursue the legitimate interests of the Society. Other factors may include: the duration of the business or contractual relationship between the Society and an individual; archiving of historical information; and legal requirements, including limitations on periods during which a legal claim might be brought.
The Society has put in place reasonable technical, physical, and administrative safeguards to protect personal data collected by the Society.
INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS REGARDING PERSONAL DATA
Individuals generally have the right to access their own personal data and to request that the Society correct any errors or incompleteness in their own personal data. The contact information provided below should be used for these purposes. There is also a limited right to request deletion of personal data. Such requests also should be directed to the designated contact.
Inquiries regarding this privacy notice or other privacy concerns should be directed to:
12, Baylis Mews, Amyand Park Road, Twickenham TW1 3HQ, UK
Tel. 0208 891 6600